Department of correctional service’s parole board has confirmed the news that Paralympian Oscar Pistorious will indeed be a free man as early as 21 August 2015, 10 months after he went in for killing his model girlfriend on February the 14th.
“The acting national commissioner of correctional services Mr Zach Modise has confirmed that the Correctional Supervision and Parole Board (CSPB) of Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre, sat on June 5 [Friday] 2015 and approved the placement of Oscar Pistorius under correctional supervision with effect from August 21 2015,” the department said in a statement.
“The CSPB has approved that Pistorius be placed under correctional supervision, as a probationer, in line with Section 276 (1) (i) of the Criminal Procedure Act, read together with the Correctional Services Act, Act 111 of 1998, as amended that says an offender may serve only one sixth of his/her sentence in custody, and continue to serve the remaining period of the sentence under correctional supervision.”
In a letter to the department regarding Oscar’s placement on correctional supervision, the Steenkamps said: “Reeva had so much to offer this world and we were all robbed of her life when she was killed. As her family we do not seek to avenge her death and we do not want Mr Pistorius to suffer. That will not bring her back to us. However, a person found guilty of a crime must be held accountable for their actions.
“Statistics show that our society is under continuous attack from criminals and murderers. Incarceration of 10 months for taking a life is simply not enough. We fear it will not send out the proper message and serve as a deterrent…”
Oscar was sentenced in October last year for five years in prison for killing Steenkamp, and for three years – suspended for five – for discharging a firearm in a restaurant.